Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Colors of Summer







               
The colors of summer mountains and meadows wrap their arms around me. it is a hug that arouses the senses and calms the soul. Looking across the landscape I see the grasses sway in the gentle breeze and the contrast of colors: varying shades of green, pink, yellow, lavendar, blue,and even white.

I know some of the flowers by name, but many I just recognize as old friends.  Paint brush and lupins and wild geraniums stand tall amid the high grasses. Each summer when I revisit these gardens I never take them for granted. What a marvel that Mother Nature tends them and graciously opens them up for our enjoyment.

She charges me no fee to walk the moutain trails.  In return I will be careful and respectful of her hard work.  This land she watches over is public land. It is part of our heritage and history saved for us to enjoy and connect with.  It is owned by no one person and can not be fenced off or sold.  Thus the name public land.

Never take these lands for granted and just assume they will always be available.  They need wise observers and users to stand up for them providing a voice that can be heard on their be half. That voice must let states know how important and valued our public lands are to its citizens. If these lands are sold to private parties it will be a sad day and the beginning of a journey of no return.



No comments: